I would like to remind all current club members and any others who are considering joining Ards CC that you are required to have a valid Cycling Ireland licence if you want to participate in club calendar events and club runs. At present only 64 members have an up to date licence meaning many are not insured.
The key benefit of joining Cycling Ireland and having a Cycling Ireland licence is the insurance provided. You will be covered for personal injury and third party damage / liability. This cover also extends to training.
Do I need a Cycling Ireland licence?
Yes. If you plan on cycling with the club – on club runs or club events, you need a cycling licence which provides insurance cover. Your club fees are for club membership only and do not provide any insurance cover. All competitive licences expire on 31st December each year and cost the same no matter when you renew, so it makes sense to do it now. (Leisure licences are valid for 1 year from the date of payment so some members will still be covered for part of 2017 – check your exp. date)
What licence do I need?
There are a number of different types of Cycling Ireland membership designed to suit all types of rider, so whether you are a beginner in your first year of cycling, a person who hits the trails every weekend, or a road racer, you’ll find a membership type to suit you.
- If you intend on riding non-competitive events – Leisure Licence. This covers you while you are out training, on club spins, and while participating in leisure / sportive events. This does not cover you to take part in competitive events. The cost is £39.
- If you want to take part in time trials and club road races – Limited Competition Licence. This allows you to compete in all domestic competition except open road races. i.e. you can take part in Ards CC Tuesday night events / North Down Wednesday night events with this licence. The cost is £69.
- For Open Racing – Full Competition Licence. This licence qualifies you for racing in any discipline (including off road, bmx, TT etc) in Ireland. The cost is £115.
How do I get my licence?
- Go to http://www.cyclingireland.ie and select the ‘Join’ link for new members or ‘Login’ link for renewing members. For new members remember to list yourself as attached to Ards Cycling Club.
- In the membership tab choose your licence type.
- Select the appropriate club fee. This year cycling members can pay your club fees together with your cycling licence fee. (Select either – £15 for senior members – £5 for junior members – £0 if you have already paid your club fees). You must pay club fees before your cycling licence can be approved.
- Complete the application and payment.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me.