This page lists the club trophies and how they are worked out.
For handicap trophies, a rider’s time is compared to his personal best at the distance. The rider with the biggest improvement wins 10 points, 2nd wins 7 points, and then 5, 3, 2 and 1. For scratch competitions, the winner gets 10 points, and so on down to 1 for the 6th placed rider.
For all trophies, if 2, 3 or 4 events are run at this distance, then all results count. If more than 4 events are run, then a rider’s best 4 results are counted.
The club awards the following trophies –
1. 5 Mile Handicap – Worked out on a handicap basis across all club 5 mile time trials. Traditionally only underage riders were eligible for this trophy, but in recent years it has been opened up to all riders.
2. 10 Mile Handicap – Worked out on a handicap basis across all club 10 mile time trials (except for the Christmas 10).
3. 25 Mile Handicap – Worked out on a handicap basis across all club 25 mile time trials.
4. Road race Handicap – worked out on the basis of the first 6 Ards riders in each club road race. Note – the club time keeper handicaps riders in the road races at the start, and it is the first 6 across the line that win points.
5. Circuit Time Trials. This is worked out on a scratch basis – a rider’s fastest time on each club time trial circuit is added up, and the rider with the lowest total wins.
6. Magreechan Cup – Presented by former club chairman Bobby Magreechan, this is awarded to the winner of the Portaferry and back time trial on a scratch basis.
7. Hill Climb trophy. This is worked out on a scratch basis – a rider’s fastest time in each club hill climb (excluding Bradshaw’s Brae) is added up, and the rider with the lowest total wins. Note – in recent years there has only been one counting event – the Scrabo hill climb.
8. Bradshaw’s Brae – awarded to the fastest rider in the Bradshaw’s Brae hill climb.
9. Senior Best All Rounder (the Henderson Cup) – Presented to the club in memory of founding member Charlie Henderson. It is awarded to the rider with the fastest average speed across 5, 10 and 25 mile club time trials.
10. Open Best All Rounder (Hudson Shield) – in memorial of Billy Hudson – a super time trialist in the 70s and 80s. Similar to (9) above, but riders can also submit times from open time trials for this competition.
11. Schoolboy Best All Rounder – awarded to the underage rider with the fastest average speed across two 5 mile and two 10 mile club time trials.
12. Vets BAR. This is a complicated one. The Veterans Time Trial Association sets Age Standards that attempt to “level the playing field” for riders over 40 years old. As riders get older, the age standards become more generous. The Vets BAR is worked out across club 5, 10 and 25 mile time trials on an Age Standard basis. The age standards used by Ards CC are listed here. See also here for an article on how our BAR completion are worked out.
13. Club Support. This trophy was presented to the club by long time club coach Jimmy Thompson in the 1980s. It was intended to encourage a rider who showed enthusiasm, determination and club spirit, but who wasn’t necessarily winning every week. The winner is selected by the club committee.
14. McFarlane Trophy. This trophy was presented to the club by James McFarlane to recognise consistently strong time trial performances in club competition. It is worked out on a scratch basis across all club 10 and 25 mile time trials.
15. Henderson Shield. This is awarded to the rider with the fastest 25 mile time trial ride during the year.
16. 10K Handicap Cup (The Killarn Cup) – Worked out on a handicap basis across all club 10k mile time trials (excluding any 2-ups).
17. Millenium Cup. Presented to the club by Brendan and Bronagh Kirk to recognise the most promising underage rider. Selected by the club committee.
18. Billy Boal Memorial – presented to the club by the family of long time club marshall and supporter Billy Boal. It is awarded to the winner of the final Carrowdore road race of the season.
19. Best 10k. This is awarded to the rider with the fastest 10k time trial ride during the year (excluding 2-ups).